WHY I LOVE FASHION I CAN'T AFFORD

Hey Dolls, 
Those of you that follow my social media outlets know that I absolutely LOVE high end designer fashion. You may wonder why I share these things but you never see me wearing them. Well I’m here to tell ya! 

When I was a young girl, I grew up on an Indian Reservation in a very small town. The only store in town that carried clothing was called “Yellow Front”. We didn’t even have a Wal-Mart! Can you believe that?! My only knowledge of fashion was through television and my mom’s magazines (and she had LOTS of magazines!) Chanel, Gucci, YSL…I knew I would never touch much less wear. But oh how they inspired me! 

For some, fashion is something that you put on just so you won't be naked (shout out to my hippie souls..lol), some use it to make them feel pretty or special. While for others, fashion is sort of a form of art or expression. Because I couldn’t afford these glorious items, it pushed me to create my own vision and tap into my creativity using the things in my closet. You see for me, it doesn’t matter how much you spend on an item but how you make it your own. This will draw the attention of those who appreciate it. Style can’t be bought or imitated. It comes from within and requires confidence and a certain attitude. In short…it’s not how much it is but how you ROCK IT! 

This is why I love street style! Seeing an everyday girl who understands her fashion influence gives me a style high. In this life I may never be able to feel the beautiful silk, chiffon, lace or wool of an iconic designer piece against my skin (various reasons apply). But in this life I have been inspired by the history of it! 

I'm pretty certain that most of you have been inspired by designer fashion too! How many of you have something in your closet right now that was influenced by one (or all) of the items below?

 Chanel Tweed Suit (one word=classy lady)
 Audrey Hepburn in Givenchy Dress (every woman owns a black dress)
 Yves Saint Laurent Polka Dots (I just bought a skirt with large dots)
 Burberry Trench Coat (I mean who doesn't have a trench?)
 Jerry Hall in an iconic DVF Wrap Dress
 Madonna in Tulle (fashion inspiration for many)
My current designer favorite (Michael Kors).

Comments

Unknown said…
Your words are truly amazing i admire your work and all your posts especially this one.
Anonymous said…
This is such a nice post ...
beside the high end fashion designers u inspire me...

i'm a new plus size fashion blogger too but in Arabic ,plz if u have time check it out and tell me what u think.thx
Unknown said…
I can totally see how Michael Kors inspires your style. In that editorial, I could totally see you styled the same way.
Tammie S. said…
This was an interesting read! Thanks for sharing!
flytie said…
:-) very nice! you're certainly right about what style is.

and that wrap dress!!!
Unknown said…
I love this post! I'm definitely inspired by old hollywood glam! I wish I could afford high-end clothing...and fit it! lol
Divalocity said…
Most of can't afford what we see, but many stores have lessor priced versions of what we love and we can duplicate the same exact look sans the high-end label- which is something we have been doing for years.
Unknown said…
Hi Kiah,

I did a blog post similar to this one back in November 2013: http://beautyandserendipity.blogspot.com/2013_11_01_archive.html

Thanks for writing this. It was great to read about your experiences growing up and how you developed your unique personal style.

I'm noticing that the Michael Kors coat owes a debt to the Burberry trench coat. Whether that was intentional or not, it's a nice segue to show how designers are influenced by classic styles.